The benefits go far beyond the blissful hour or so spent on the bed – here’s why booking a back massage is a smart investment you should make for your health.
- PUT POSTURE PROBLEMS TO BED – A major cause of back pain is muscles tightening and become inflamed and uncomfortable. Translation: sitting hunched over a computer for hours a day could be a major culprit for your aches and pains in the upper and lower back. “The good news is that regular massages can relieve symptoms,” explains mobile masseuse, Rima. A study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine revealed that having an hour-long massage once a week can reduce pain and increase mobility.
- WORKOUT MUSCLE WOES – If you’ve been sweating it out in the gym rather than the office then DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) may be your biggest posterior problem. Not anymore. “Back massage increases blood flow and circulation not only to the back but all over the body, flooding muscles and tissues with much-needed nutrients to speed up recovery from soreness and possible strains,” advises massage therapist Jarek.
- BOOST IMMUNITY – ‘Tis the season to feel sniffly but a study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that massage boosts the amount of white blood cells in the body to protect you from nasties like cold and flu.
- HALT HEADACHES – It’s not just back pain that can be halted by a good back rub. “Walking around with your shoulders hunched and tensed in cold winter weather can lead to chronic tension headaches and migraines,” says Rima. Just as well that research from Granada University in Spain found a single massage session will have an immediate effect on headaches.
- SWEET DREAMS – Ever had a dropped off during a massage session? There’s a reason for that. Findings from the Touch Research Institute show that massage increases specific brain waves that are responsible for deep sleep. Amaazzzing.
Life’s better with the app
Find out what therapists are working in your area and book one of 11 treatments.Download our app